How to spend an awesome Memorial Day weekend in LA 2023
It’s Memorial Day again soon, and there’s no better way to kick off the summer season than with a weekend getaway to the City of Angels. With its vibrant culture, endless sunshine, and laid-back vibe, LA is the perfect destination for a fun and rejuvenating holiday. From iconic landmarks to hidden gems, take advantage of the long weekend and join us in LA for a Memorial Day celebration you’ll never forget.
From glamorous parties to county fairs and beyond, here’s a lowdown on all the best things to do this Memorial Day weekend in LA:
Visit some of Hollywood’s Most Iconic Landmarks
If it’s your first time in this sprawling metropolis, you might want to spend the weekend hitting all the quintessential Hollywood things to do on your getaway this Memorial Day Weekend in LA. Take a stroll at the Hollywood Walk of Fame, look for the Hollywood Sign, visit Griffith Observatory and Universal Studios, and so on. Here is a sample 3-day itinerary with all the best things to do in Hollywood.
Catch the musical Six at the Pantages Theatre this Memorial Weekend. Running from May 9 – June 10, 2023, this musical takes you on a journey through the lives of the six wives of Henry VIII, who finally get to tell their own stories in a modern-day pop concert format. The musical has received rave reviews for its catchy songs, witty dialogue, and amazing performances by its all-female cast.
With its stunning art deco architecture and rich history, the Pantages Theatre is the perfect venue to experience this exciting production. Make sure to book your tickets in advance, as the show is expected to sell out quickly!
Watch Shania Twain Live at Hollywood Bowl
View this post on Instagram
If you’re a Shanaia Twain fan, mark your calendars now and catch her as she takes the stage of the Hollywood Bowl on May 28th at 7 PM. The iconic venue will be the perfect setting for Twain’s energetic performance, featuring classic hits like “Man! I Feel Like a Woman” and “You’re Still the One.”
Whether you’re huge Shania Twain fan or just looking for a memorable night out, be sure to grab your tickets now and get ready for a night of incredible music and entertainment under the stars at the Hollywood Bowl.
Here’s another idea: celebrate Memorial Weekend at LA County Fair at Fairplex Pomona! Memorial Day weekend marks the fair’s final days, making it the perfect time to go. From carnival rides to fair food, live entertainment to games, it will be loads of fun!
Explore the agriculture and nutrition fair to learn more about farming, and get up close and personal with farm animals. Art lovers can browse the local artist exhibit, and shopaholics can indulge in some retail therapy at the vendor booths. Of course, no fair visit is complete without trying some of the foods.
Make sure to check out the website for the full schedule of events, and plan your visit accordingly. Bring comfortable shoes and sunscreen, as there’s plenty of walking to do. Don’t miss out on the last weekend of this year’s LA County Fair!
Experience LA’s Street Food Cinema
View this post on Instagram
Get ready for a unique outdoor movie experience at the LA Street Food Cinema watch the cult classic “Ghost World” under the LA skies.
The 2001 film follows two teenage girls, Enid and Rebecca, played by Thora Birch and Scarlett Johansson, as they navigate the difficulties of post-high school life. With its dry humor and poignant exploration of friendship and identity, Ghost World has become a beloved film for many.
But the fun doesn’t stop with the movie – the Street Food Cinema event also features a variety of LA’s best food trucks, with options for every palate. Enjoy your dinner and drinks while lounging on a picnic blanket, surrounded by other movie-goers in a beautiful outdoor setting.
Tickets can be purchased online, and you can bring your own chairs or blankets to set up in the grassy area. Don’t miss out on this unique and enjoyable Memorial Day weekend experience!
Check out LA’s Art Culture
Art enthusiasts in Los Angeles are in for a treat! LA has a vibrant and diverse art scene, with plenty of exhibitions to check out during Memorial Day weekend. Catch the following shows on your visit:
- Entanglements: Louise Bonnet and Adam Silverman at Hollyhock House: This exhibition, open from April 6 to May 27, is the first-ever artist intervention at Frank Lloyd Wright’s Hollyhock House. Local artists Louise Bonnet and Adam Silverman have adorned the century-old structure with paintings, drawings, and ceramics, creating a stunning dialogue between their work and Wright’s design.
- Jean-Michel Basquiat: King Pleasure: Jean-Michel Basquiat: King Pleasure: For fans of the legendary neo-expressionist painter, this touring exhibition is not to be missed. You can step inside a recreation of Basquiat’s studio and see over 200 pieces of his work, as well as artifacts and ephemera, at the Grand in Downtown LA. The exhibition also includes recreations of Basquiat’s family home and New York studio and two large paintings created on pieces of the fence behind Basquiat’s Venice studio.
- Light, Space, Surface: Selections from LACMA’s Collection: “Light, Space, Surface: Selections from LACMA’s Collection” showcases the work of the 1960s Light and Space movement in Southern California. The exhibit features pieces from the collections of Peter Alexander, Larry Bell, Judy Chicago, Mary Corse, Fred Eversley, and Robert Irwin. The movement explores the way light interacts with space and how it can create new perspectives on surfaces. The exhibition is on display at LACMA from April 6 until October 1, 2023. Check out LACMA’s other current exhibitions here.
- World of Barbie: For something fun and whimsical, head to Santa Monica Place for the World of Barbie exhibit, open from April 14 to June 30, 2023. This pop-up experience features 20,000 square feet of space filled with rooms and photo ops inspired by the iconic Mattel toy. From a life-size Barbie Dreamhouse to a full-size Barbie Camper Van, this exhibit is a playful and Instagram-worthy way to spend an afternoon.
Party the weekend away!
From top-notch EDM to hip-hop to Latin and house music, Hollywood is a city that knows how to party. Here are some of the best parties happening this Memorial Day weekend in Hollywood that you won’t want to miss:
- The Biggest Memorial Day Weekend Event In Los Angeles – Avalon Hollywood
Get ready to dance the night away at Avalon Hollywood, one of the best entertainment venues in SoCal. With five different areas to choose from, you can experience a variety of music genres, including House, Techno, and Deep House. The party goes on until 3 am, so you can dance until dawn.
- Signature Saturdays at Dragonfly Hollywood
If Hip Hop is your jam, then you don’t want to miss Signature Saturdays at Dragonfly Hollywood. This club hosts some of the most popular Hip Hop parties in Los Angeles, with live shows and special events to impress. Dance to the perfect mix of Hip Hop, R&B, and everything in between, and rub shoulders with some of the biggest celebrity guests in town.
- Reggaeton & Latin Dance Every Friday Night – La Moda at Ballet Nightclub
Dance the night away at Hollywood’s premier Reggaeton and Latin Dance Party at La Moda every Friday night. This party is open to those 21 and over, with valid ID and fashionable trendy attire required. Don’t forget to RSVP to get free entry before 11 pm. With some of SoCal’s hottest DJs in the mix, you’ll dance to Reggaeton, Guaracha, Dembow, Top 40s, Hip Hop, and Latin Vibes.
- St Felix Hollywood – Electric Entertainment – House DJ’s GUILTY PLEASURE
If you’re looking for award-winning cocktails and bites, look no further than St Felix Hollywood. Dance to House DJs Guilty Pleasure and Electric Entertainment DJ Collective. There’s no cover charge for this party, and it starts at 9:30 pm. With inside dining and outside patio access along the famous EaCa Alley, you’ll have a great time in the heart of Hollywood.
For the ultimate Hollywood experience, join the Memorial Day Weekend Hollywood Club Crawl. Visit the hottest nightclubs in Hollywood with performances by amazing DJs. You’ll get free express entry to all venues, drink specials at some venues, professional party hosts, and photos of the event. Meet your party hosts at the first venue listed on the lineup to check in and pregame, and your private party hosts will guide you to all the epic venues on the lineup.